“The Southeast Alabama Baptist Association is a family of 51 local Baptist churches who cooperate together to fulfill The Great Commission through missions, ministries, and evangelism, with our primary focus being on our Jerusalem. SABA exists to network local churches in ministry and missions opportunities for eternal impact. We can accomplish more by linking together with others to reach our community.”
It is day one of our Outreach Weeks! We are shining a spotlight on several non-profits and organizations throughout the Wiregrass area. Today’s spotlight goes to the Southeast Alabama Baptist Association. Let’s take a look at who they are, and some upcoming opportunities for you to get plugged in with.
The Southeast Alabama Baptist Association exists for the purpose of meeting the physical, material, social, and spiritual needs of people. They are able to execute this purpose through the churches of the SABA in cooperation with other local service agencies. Their ministry center is supported by the churches of the Southeast Alabama Baptist Association through benevolent giving and donations of food and clothing. Services provided for those in need include the following: food, clothing, utility assistance, rent assistance, and spiritual counseling. If you want to know more about this, call (334) 699-2855.
The ministry center at SABA includes Thee Store, finance classes, and tax preparation. Store hours for Thee Store are Tuesday – Thursday (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) and Saturdays (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.). Donations to Thee Store can be made during these same hours.
National Peanut Festival Ministry Opportunities
Each year at the National Peanut Festival, the Southeast Alabama Baptist Association has several different opportunities in which one may serve. Here is a look at the different options for the 2018 NPF:
- Clothing Needs: ALL sizes of men’s and women’s light jackets and windbreakers, and ALL sizes of men’s and women’s black pants. These items can be brought to the Ministry Center or to Eagle Eye, but make sure to tell them it is for the Peanut Festival Ministry. These clothes are needed by Monday, October 22nd.
- Home Baked Cookies: There is nothing better than the taste of home baked cookies! Place 3 cookies in plastic sandwich bags, and bring them by SABA on Wednesday, October 31st. If possible, bake them the night before so they will be fresh.
- Welcome to Dothan Cards: This is a sweet activity for children to do. Let children draw and write a welcome message to the carnival workers. The card should be small enough to fit in a toiletry bag. Try folding a sheet of 8.5″ by 11″ paper twice. Messages can include things like “we love the fair” or “Jesus loves you”. SABA’a goal is 400 cards, and they are needed by Tuesday, October 23rd.
- Toiletry Bags: These should include deodorant, a bar of soap, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a washcloth, razor, and shampoo/conditioner. The items should be placed in a 1 gallon sized zip lock bag. SABA will provide a tract for each bag. Toiletry bags are needed by Tuesday, October 23rd.
- Lunch Preparation: You can help prepare lunches at the SABA office for the carnival workers. This will take place on Thursday, November 1st at 9:00 a.m. at the SABA office.
- Lunch Distribution: This is an opportunity for you to distribute lunches and toiletry bags to the carnival workers at the fairgrounds! Distribution will begin on Thursday, November 1st at the NPF at 11:00 a.m.
- Baby Comfort Station: You can volunteer to work the Baby Comfort Station during the Peanut Festival. Parents come to these stations in order to feed and/or change their babies in a private, heated tent. This has been a huge success over the past several years! Different shifts are available. Numerous volunteers are needed, so get in touch with the SABA right now to sign up for a shift. This will be going on from Friday, November 2 to Sunday, November 11.
Several of our Eagle Eye staff have used Volunteer Time Off (VTO) hours towards the Peanut Festival opportunities over the past few years. What a wonderful and rewarding experience. If you have any questions about this fantastic organization or how you can get involved with them, call (334) 794 – 6281 or visit their website here.