Can you believe it? It is almost time to go back to school! With that being said, it is definitely a good idea to go ahead and get prepared for the 2018-2019 school year. One of the ways you can do this, and save big on clothing/supplies is by shopping on Tax-Free Weekend. This year’s Tax-Free Weekend falls on Friday, July 20 and runs through Sunday, July 22 for the state of Alabama. This is the 13th annual sales tax holiday for our state!
We will be opened on Friday, July 20 from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday, July 21 from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. as well. Come in and shop with us on these two days to receive no tax on some of your favorite back to school items. We are closed on Sundays but do not forget that you can still shop the tax-free deals on our website.
Here are a few things to note about what is taxable and what is not:
- Clothing: Must be $100 or less, per article of clothing to be tax exempt. This includes all human wearing apparel suitable for general use. Some examples would be shirts, dresses, shorts, raincoats, jeans, belts, hats, etc.
- Footwear: Again, must be $100 or less to apply. This includes sandals, sneakers, socks, shoes, etc. As long as the pair of shoes, or socks, is not over $100, they will be tax-exempt this weekend.
- School Supplies: These include things like book bags, binders, pencils, folders, scissors, notebooks, etc.
- Computers, Computer Software, and School Computer Supplies: A single purchase with a sales price of $750 or less. This includes laptops, desktop, or tower computer systems that are sold as part of a package with the central processing unit. It also includes computer printers, computer storage media, etc.
- Clothing and Footwear over $100.
- School Supplies (including backpacks) over $50.
- Clothing accessories like wallets, handbags, jewelry, cosmetics, umbrellas, sunglasses, etc.
- Furniture, and video games of a non-educational nature.
- Magazines, Newspapers, Periodicals, etc.
For the purposes of shopping with us on Tax-Free Weekend, note that clothing and footwear ONLY $100 or less will be tax exempt. Also, note that backpacks MUST BE $50 or less to be applicable for tax exemption. This is valid whether you are shopping in-store or online with us from Friday, July 20 to Sunday, July 22. Check out the full listing of items that are taxable and tax exempt for the state of Alabama by clicking here.